Skip to main content

Fire Storm by Andrew Lane - Review


❋ ❋ ❋ 

I adore Sherlock Holmes and anything S.H. related, so of course I had to read at least one book from this series. After coming off of Mrs Hudson's Diaries: A View from the Landing at 221b, my expectations weren't all that high, but I did have some hope since this series has been endorsed by the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Estate. I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the story.

Virginia and her father, fourteen-year-old Sherlock's tutor, have disappeared. Their house is empty and the neighbors claim never to have heard of them. Sherlock begins to doubt his own mind when he discovers a lead that takes him to Scotland. In Scotland waits a web of mystery and deceit that only a mind like Sherlock's can unravel.

I'll admit I was a bit confused starting the series with book four (partly why I gave it four stars), especially since the reader is dropped right into the middle of the action. However, I loved the characters, or at least what I've learned of them from this point, especially Sherlock. Just in the course of this book I could see him begin to develop into the character he becomes, but he is still quite different from the Sherlock we know. Like other reviewers, I agree that the presentation of his character here reminds me a good deal of Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl and I like that comparison.

Another reason I knocked the rating down is because it feels fragmented. The opening section with Mrs. Eglantine, his uncle, and Harkness could have been a part of another book and I was actually kind of surprised that there was so much more to come.

Finally, I loved every reference to adult Sherlock's life. If you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes in any way, check out this series, but you'll probably want to start with book one just like I plan to do.




I listened to this on playaway from September 1 - 3, 2014 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. I actually haven't read anything SH /related/, just the original stories, which I had to read for a college crime fiction course. But I remember enjoying them. I need to look into more of these types of stories, though.

    And also, Benedict Cumberbatch is so adorably nerdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should - some are brilliant! And yes, he is! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows