Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Avengers: Age of Ultron 3D Edition


❋ ❋ ❋ 

This Saturday I spent some quality time at my local movie theater watching Avengers: Age of Ultron with 3D glasses perched on the bridge of my nose - great way to relax after a crazy day at work!

Here's a short plot summary: Tony decides that the best way to achieve peace in our time is to go ahead with his artificial intelligence Ultron project and put a suit of armor around the world.  When Ultron becomes sentient, he comes to the conclusion that the best way to save humanity is to wipe it from the face of the earth.  Let's just say that things start to go downhill from there after Ultron really sets his mind to it and builds an army of his own.  He's also recruited Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, twins who lived through Hydra experimentation and are lead to believe that Ultron is interested in destroying the Avengers only, since they have reasons of their own to want Stark dead.

For the most part, Age of Ultron is a pretty fun sequel.  I enjoyed the eye-popping (very 3D friendly), near non-stop action, the sense of humor, and character exploration (especially when it comes to Hawkeye).  I also got a kick out of seeing old friends, and I must admit James Spader does a fine job of bringing Ultron to life.  Paul Bettany kind of steals the show with The Vision.  The one character I was definitely interested in seeing was Quicksilver - I wondered how Aaron Taylor-Johnson would compare to Evan Peters' performance in X-Men: Days of Future Past.  Of the two actors, I'd say my favorite version of the character is still Evan Peters, but Aaron Taylor-Johnson does have his moments, right alongside Elizabeth Olsen.

Now, my only real problem with this movie was that it feels overstuffed, even for a movie that's nearly two and a half hours long.  There's just so much going on that it's a bit much.  While the romance aspect between Banner and Natasha wasn't bad, it's not exactly necessary, but it does give us some interesting back story to consider with Natasha (partly thanks to Scarlet Witch's manipulation).  

Overall, the movie a lot of fun to see on the big screen and I liked revisiting some favorite characters.  Don't forget to look out for Stan Lee's cameo, which is relatively early on in the movie, and stay for the mid-credits scene!


Comments

  1. Stan Lee's cameo in this one was so cool :P
    and that mid credit scene with Thanos blew my mind! O_O
    This movie was amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! I still haven't been able to see it yet (I ended up going to Furious 7 this weekend instead) but I've heard some 50/50 reviews so I was really worried it'd be disappointing. That's really awesome how we get more background on the characters (especially Hawkeye and Natasha since I don't really know much about them). Great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it. I've heard the same, but I had a good time. How was Furious 7? I have only seen the first three movies...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows