Skip to main content

Starting Sparks: March Edition


Welcome back to the March edition of Starting Sparks, a monthly writing link-up hosted by Emily @ Ink, Inc. and Ashley G. @ [insert title here].  The idea behind it is to spark your creativity and write on a theme posted at the first of the month by the co-hosts.  You can write whatever you like be it a short story, a scene, a poem, a piece of dialogue, or simply an exploration of an idea.  This month the selected theme is the following:


It took me a while to decide on what I wanted to write about this month.  Then I thought - wouldn't it be interesting to write about dreamcatchers for a topic like this?  The answer - yes.


Dreamcatcher

I never remember my dreams.  I take that back - on the rare occasion that I do, they are always strange and horrible.  I can't remember any of the details when I wake, but I'm left with a worrying sense of foreboding.  Within a week afterward, I see something bad happen.  It could be anything - like a friend getting the news that a loved one has passed on or someone getting fired from their job - but it involves someone getting hurt, mentally,  emotionally, sometimes even physically.  The most troubling part is that this sense seems to be coming more frequently now.  Six days ago, it happened again - I woke to that feeling of foreboding that I've come to dread.  Three days ago, I watched someone get run down in the street by a passing car.  The driver never stopped.

Since then I've convinced myself that the dreamcatcher that's been hanging over the head of my bed for the last ten years must have something to do with it - whatever it is.  I know, I know.  Dreamcatchers are supposed to filter out bad dreams and let only the good ones pass through to the owner.  In the light of day under normal circumstances, I don't believe in that sort of thing.  Not at all.  Yes, I love reading paranormal and urban fantasy novels, but that is all together different.  I wouldn't want to live in that kind of world.  I like the rules of the real world, thank you.
  
I'm going to take my dreamcatcher down.  For all I know, I could be psyching myself out and working myself up over nothing.  I'll slack off the dark urban fantasy and horror for a while and see what happens.  Though, I'll admit I can't help but think of all of the terrible things I've seen.  There is no way that all of that can be coincidence.  If so, I must have  the worst luck in the world, or that is, the people around me do.  My mind automatically goes to the legends surrounding dreamcatchers - only good dreams pass through.  It becomes a mantra in my mind and my hand stops just before I can take the dreamcatcher down.  I take a step back.  On second thought, I'll leave it where it is.  Just in case it is protecting me from something far worse.

Comments

  1. Oo, I like this. Very much. It's so interesting and has a sort of disturbed, nervousness to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun to write something as tense while keeping it short.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Scary. That is such a good premise for a book, actually. What's the deal with the dreamcatcher? Is it making things worse? Or is it protecting the MC? Is he/she some kind of seer/psychic (I'm thinking Maura, Calla, Persephone now!).

    Thank you for linking up! And I'm so sorry I said in my post that no one had when you had. I really should have checked. Forgive me! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! :)

      It would be a great premise for a book, wouldn't it! I'd like to think the character is some kind of pyschic - and that the dreamcatcher is trying to protect her from something that's coming. I like that you're thinking of the ladies of The Raven Cycle! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows