Skip to main content

Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) by Cassandra Clare - Review


❋ ❋ ❋  

Emma Carstairs is one of the best Shadowhunters of her generation and together with her parabatai, Julian Blackthorne, they patrol a Los Angeles that is on the brink of war. When the bodies of humans and fairies are found with the same mysteries markings that Emma's parents were found dead with, an uneasy alliance is formed, giving Emma the chance for the revenge she's always wanted and for Julian to see his brother, Mark, again for the first time in years. Now, all they have to do is solve the murder in two weeks, and just hope the murderer doesn't make them the next target.

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare is the first book in her new series, The Dark Artifices, and it's an excellent return to the world of Shadowhunters. It has so much going for it! The characters are great additions to the world, from the leads to the supporting characters. Emma and Julian make great parabatai, and I really felt for them from beginning to end. I also liked getting to know Julian's family, especially Ty, whose autism is portrayed quite accurately. By the way, Mark's return and interactions with the main cast are priceless. The characters really make this story. Now, that's not to say anything else was lacking because it absolutely was not. I loved getting a look at the new side of the Shadow World in Los Angeles. By the way, Clary and company have a cameo appearance, and plus there's even a bonus short story featuring some old favorites.

Overall, you absolutely need to read Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare, if you are a fan of the world of Shadowhunters. You can certainly read it without previous knowledge of the world, but it's much more rewarding to be familiar with the rest of the author's work. Book two, Lord of Shadows can't come soon enough!


I read this book from April 28 - May 5, 2016 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. Aw, it's so nice that this book features autism, especially since it's fantasy novel!

    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, that it was that well done! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. *screams* I got this book ON THE DAY IT CAME OUT AND I HAVEN'T READ IT YET. *screams again*

    *ahem* this review was amazing, as always Lauren and I also loved how Cassandra Clare incorporated autism in this book, this is why she's my favorite, sigh.

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noor! I hope you love it when you get to it! :D

      Delete
  3. Okay, I've been seeing this book ALL over instagram. But I've never read a Cassandra Clare book before? I want to. Everyone talks about them and I'm very curious. So, do I need to read the others before reading this one? And which one do I start with?! Because doesn't she have various series/trilogies within the same world? I want to read her books, but I'm mildly confused (obviously). She has so many books which is cool when an author is prolific, but I've no idea where to start. X'D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strictly speaking you don't need to, but it's much more interesting if you're already familiar with her work. I've read her work chronologically by release. This series is set shortly after the events of The Mortal Instruments series so to get a wider view of what and who the characters are talking about, you might want to start there. The Infernal Devices series is set in the 1870s but it's cool to see familiar names and characters who actually cross over. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  4. I still need to finish TMI and TID in order to read this one, but I really want to! Hopefully I'll be able to get to it by the end of this year, but it seems like a reach because I want to space out the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes it so much better if you've read the rest of her books, but you don't necessarily need to.

      Delete
  5. How did I miss that you reviewed this one??? I absolutely adored this book, too! Mark interacting with his siblings and those fish out of water scenes are amazing. Honestly, Mark was probably my favorite character (even though it's sorta strange to say Mark is my favorite character to family as Mark is my dad's name and also my cousin, lol). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad to be back in the Shadowhunter world! I can't wait to see more of Mark! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows