Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles #5) by Kevin Hearne + 50/50 Friday




On Friday's I take part in three weekly link ups - The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice, Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Reader, and 50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up and it is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. For The Friday 56, you choose a book, a book you have just finished, a book you are about to start, your current read, and share a line or a few lines that grab you (but don't spoil anything) from page 56 or 56% of the way through the ebook. Post it and share your post's url on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post. As for Book Beginnings, you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires, and then link up your post's url with Rose City Reader. Then, for 50/50 Friday, every week there's a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts blogs.



This week I'm spotlighting one of my current #BeatTheBacklist reads, Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles #5) by Kevin Hearne.  I absolutely love this series and it's awesome to catch up with Atticus, Granuaile, and Oberon.  I've listened to the first three novels and one novella on audiobook (narrated by the amazing Luke Daniels), and I read book four in paperback.  Well, I'm reading the paperback copy here, but I can totally still here Daniels' voice in my head.  If you love urban fantasy and are into mythology, you need to try this series if you haven't already, especially if you like The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.



Beginning: 

You know those spastic full-body twitches you get when you're almost asleep and your muscles want to play a practical joke on your brain?  You startle wide awake and immediately get pissed at your nervous system, wondering what the hell that was all about.

56: 

"Have you ever been to an IHOP on a weekday morning, when everyone else is at work?"

"No," Granuaile admitted.

"Well, that's where all the senior citizens go.  Or they go to a Village Inn or a Denny's or whatever.  It's because, once you hit sixty or thereabouts, you don't ever want to make your own pancakes again."

"You're over sixty," Granuaile pointed out.

"And I never make pancakes.  I go to IHOP with all the other old people."

50/50 Friday: Favorite/ Least Favorite Ships



Least - Juliette and Warner from Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - Of course, I've only read book one, but I just don't get this one - I feel like I really missed something.

Favorite - I normally don't get into this, but as of now I have a grand total of four that I'm fairly invested in:


Alec and Magnus from The Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare - These two are actually my favorite couple from the Shadowhunters books, and I like where they're going in the tv series.


Cress and Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer - As much as I like Kai and Cinder, Cress and Thorne are just so much fun!


Kell and Lila from Shades of Magic by V.E. Schwab - These two are great by themselves, but they're even better together!


Ronan and Adam from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater - Gansey and Blue are great, but these two steal the show.

Have you read any of these books?  What's your favorite ship?  As always, thanks for visiting my blog and perhaps even commenting down below!

Comments

  1. Trapped sounds interesting. The way you described it makes it sound like a book I'd probably end up enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing this author everywhere! This series sounds amazing. I love the beginning. I do that all the time and it drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to catch up on this series. I read the first three before my brother grabbed all the books to read. I haven't managed to grab them back yet. This week I have The Philosopher's Flight by Tom Miller. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, Lauren!

    The cover of Trapped looks so cool. Sounds a fab series. Never read any of them.

    Here is mine: http://bit.ly/2nLo2BK

    Have a lovely weekend, Lauren. Take care! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sassy! I have a feeling you'd be a fan of this series. :)

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I'm more or less on the fence about Cress and Throne. I don't know, it just always seemed like she "fell in love" with him because he was the first person to show her any amount of kindness. I don't know, it just came across as weird. I also saw a massive age difference between them, but I might be wrong, I figured that Cress was around 15/16 and I thought Throne was around his early to mid 20's.
    As for Juliette and Warner, it makes more sense if you finish the series. Her relationship with Adam is actually the more toxic one. In the second book, he starts being really possessive and creepy.
    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good points there - still fun though. :)

      I expect it would - honestly, I didn't like anyone except Kenji to a degree.

      Delete
  6. I can totally relate to that beginning. It happens to me more often than I care to admit. :-) Sounds like a good book! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the excerpts...I've had those body twitches...and I am laughing about IHOP.

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE PERFECT ROOMMATE”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Malec is like the only reason I watched the TV show! They're so cute together and honestly, they were the best part of the books for me too (I never understood the whole Clace ship...). Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can say that again! :)

      Thanks for coming over, Laura!

      Delete
  9. I really want to try the Iron Druid series! :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's made of awesome! I'd love to know what you think of it, if you get to it. :)

      Delete
  10. Juliette and Warner.... I don't get them either but I've only ever read the first book too so yeah.....

    Alec and Magnus! Yes!!!!!! They are so wonderful.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kevin's series is very popular right now. I have the first book and hope to get to it soon.

    My Friday 56 from The Asylum For Wayward Victorian Girls

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read The Iron Druid Chronicles, but whenever I see the covers, I'm reminded of the Cassandra Clare covers. Happy weekend, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There urban fantasy that draw on Irish mythology, plus others as well. :)

      Delete
  13. Sounds like an entertaining read...I love that 56! They sound like fun characters. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

    Jo-Ann at Inspiration Pie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read book one in the Iron Druid series a long time ago but I adored it completely. I definitely need to reread it and finish up the series, especially because I'm excited for the authors new book, Kill the Farm Boy.

    And oh the feels!!! PINCH!! MALEC!!! Cress x Thorne!!! Oh I love them all so much and I love their relationships even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so do! Kill the Farm Boy sounds like it'll be right up my alley. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows